Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an easy, stove top soup you can make when the urge for something hot and comforting strikes.
- 2 cups chopped chicken meat
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- In soup pot, saute chicken in butter for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic.
- Saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add broth, boullion, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; quickly stir in cream.
Inez, you have nursed me back to health! I've been stuffed up with a cold, feeling rotten all over and not wanting to eat a thing. My boyfriend went looking for a recipe that I would eat and he chose this soup. It was so delicious I had two bowls and that's saying something because I hadn't eaten anything but ice cream for a day. The steam cleared my nose, the veggies and hearty broth filled me up. And I feel so much better now. Must have been the soup that did it!
This soup was really lovely. I used my homemade chicken stock and added some noodles five minutes towards the end. The is real comfort food. Thanks so much for sharing.
Mu DH just loved it. I had chicken left over from the night before, and used Campbell's Chicken broth. I did omit the cream however this time as we both have a bit of Sinusitis; therefore it's best to avoid dairy!