Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is great for a cold winter night. Use a good canned or homemade chicken broth. I sometimes use a store bought rotisserie chicken, which adds another dimension to the flavor.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups turkey, in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- salt and pepper
- minced parsley
- Bring broth to a boil in a 5-qt.Dutch oven.
- Add rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and zucchini, cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp tender, about 10 more minutes.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in cream, then stir in about 1 C. of the broth from soup mixture.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is smooth, thick and boiling.
- Stir sauce into soup mixture.
- Stir in chicken and onions, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook until heated through, about 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with warm rolls and a salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Best soup I've ever made! It took some time but it was well worth the effort. We ate it all in one night and have plans to make another pot tomorrow! I changed and added some veggies for personal prefernce (omitted carrots, added mushrooms, onions, green peppers). Hint: use fresh parley at the end for a great taste!1Reply
see 2 more