Top Review by Carter Crew Cook
I have made this recipe twice so far and it is a family favorite. When I make our weekly menu and ask for ideas, this is always suggested by my boys! I use quinoa in place of the rice and uses summer savory and smoked paprika in place of the spice packet. Thanks for this incredible recipe!
- 4 large green peppers
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) packagelong grain brown and wild rice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tops off of peppers and remove seeds.
- Place peppers in a large pot of boiling water and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in melted butter until tender.
- Add chicken, broth, rice with seasoning packet contents, celery, carrot, basil, and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat; cover and simmer until the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- Spoon mixture into the peppers; put in a greased 2-quart casserole.
- Spoon remaining rice mixture around the peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender and the filling is heated thoroughly.
- Uncover and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, bake 5 minutes more.