Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from the Gooseberry Patch cookbook Celebrate Autumn. It is great on a cold fall day!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot and add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Saute until soft.
- Add the rice, stock, bay leaves and thyme.
- Simmer, covered, for one hour.
- Add the wine, chicken, mushrooms and seasonings (I continue to simmer until all ingredients are hot although the recipe doesn't say to do this).
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
This is just a wonderful soup and I had everything on hand to make it. Made as directed and it was perfect. Will be making this often. Thanks so much for sharing.
This is a great recipe. Everyone loved it. I am now going to make a turkey version!
My fourth grader loved this!