Recipe by dtgadgetgirl
A yummy cajun classic,spice it up or keep it mild by adding or deleting the hot sauce or use hot sausage instead of mild.
Top Review by alarson
Fantastic flavor and easy to prepare! We used turkey sausage instead of pork for a lower calorie meal, and then added about 2 teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper. Wonderful heat and taste!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minute.
- Add sausage to onion and cook until browned.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, chicken broth, artichoke hearts, tomato sauce and red-pepper sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low.
- Cover and cook 17 min., stir occasionally.
- Add shrimp and chicken.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are opaque and curled.