Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I modified this wonderful recipe originally published by Michele Urvater in "Monday to Friday Cookbook".
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb red seedless grapes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.Put the rice in the bottom of a large casserole dish (2 qt.).
- Thinly slice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and saute until somewhat brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to casserole.
- Add onion to the skillet and saute, stirring frquently, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, sugar and garlic and saute for a few seconds until you can smell the garlic. Transfer to the casserole.
- Deglaze the skillet with the chicken stock and pour over evrything in the casserole dish. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the dish and mix the grapes into the rice. Replace the chicken and bake, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Excellent recipe! I followed it exactly, except that I pulled the chicken off the bones and mixed it in after everything was ready. DH and I loved it!