Recipe by Da Huz
Chicken, shrimp, spicy sausage, rice... yummy! From "The Essential Rice Cookbook" published by Borders. Add cayenne pepper to taste, this is not super spicy.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (keep the seeds)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 celery, stalks chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (keep the seeds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 3 spicy cajun sausages, cut into large coins
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco, or Tapatio, or Franks, etc)
- 1 (12 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the dried spices, the serrano peppers, the onion, the celery, and the bell pepper in a bowl. Leave the seeds with the peppers! Mix and set aside.
- Heat chicken stock to boiling while completing the next steps.
- Heat oil in a large, deep, thick-bottomed sauce pan. Fry the sausage coins over medium heat until fully cooked. Remove, leaving as much oil as possible.
- Heat sauce pan to very hot, sear the chicken, then reduce heat to medium and fry until cooked through. Remove, leaving as much oil as possible.
- Add veggie mixture to the sauce pan and fry until the onions and peppers begin to brown. Add bay leaves and Tabasco and fry for about 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add sausage and chicken back to the saucepan. Add the rice and stir to coat each grain. Add boiling stock. Do NOT stir anymore!
- Simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until moisture has been absorbed and rice is tender. Add the shrimp, cover the sauce pan, and let it rest (and steam the shrimp) for 10 minutes.