1 hr 30 mins
Da Huz's Note:
Chicken, shrimp, spicy sausage, rice... yummy! From "The Essential Rice Cookbook" published by Borders. Add cayenne pepper to taste, this is not super spicy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (keep the seeds)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 celery, stalks chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (keep the seeds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 3 spicy cajun sausages, cut into large coins
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco, or Tapatio, or Franks, etc)
- 1 (12 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1Combine the dried spices, the serrano peppers, the onion, the celery, and the bell pepper in a bowl. Leave the seeds with the peppers! Mix and set aside.
- 2Heat chicken stock to boiling while completing the next steps.
- 3Heat oil in a large, deep, thick-bottomed sauce pan. Fry the sausage coins over medium heat until fully cooked. Remove, leaving as much oil as possible.
- 4Heat sauce pan to very hot, sear the chicken, then reduce heat to medium and fry until cooked through. Remove, leaving as much oil as possible.
- 5Add veggie mixture to the sauce pan and fry until the onions and peppers begin to brown. Add bay leaves and Tabasco and fry for about 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
- 6Add sausage and chicken back to the saucepan. Add the rice and stir to coat each grain. Add boiling stock. Do NOT stir anymore!
- 7Simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until moisture has been absorbed and rice is tender. Add the shrimp, cover the sauce pan, and let it rest (and steam the shrimp) for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 795.5
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 275.6 mg
- Sodium 1327.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 63.3 g