Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
You can make this recipe using pork tenderloin in place of chicken breasts, and really you can substitute any bean you desired for the cannellini beans. Serve with potatoes or cooked pasta.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cannellini beans, drained
- 3 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 lb fresh button mushroom, sliced (can use more or less)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skinnless (cut into 1/2-inch slices, can use 5 breasts)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh spinach (cut into about 1/4-inch strips)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a heavy large pot heat oil over medium.
- Add in the mushroom slices and cook until all the liquid is evaporated (about 8 minutes).
- Add in the onions, garlic, dryed pepper flakes and thyme; saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add in sherry; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
- Season the chicken strips with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Add in more oil if neded to the pot.
- Add in the chicken, stirring until browned.
- Add in 2 tablespoons flour stir to coat the chicken evenly.
- Add in the chicken broth with the onion/mushroom mixture; bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon; simmer for about 25 minutes (you can cook a little longer if desired).
- After about 25 minutes, add in the spinach chopped spinach, whipping cream, mustard and paprika (if using); simmer for about 5 minutes (at this point you can add in about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese if desired) then season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese, or pass the cheese at the table.