Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This recipe was submitted to the cookbook by Mrs. Alice (Podgie) Neyer and she comments that the recipe is "good for a church social".
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 2⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken, diced
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup pimiento
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- Blend butter and flour; add broth, milk and water.
- Cook over low heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add salt, rice and other vegetables.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and bake in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Top with almonds.
- Note: this can be cut in half for a smaller family.
Yummy, smooth and comforting. We have to rely on these recipes to make us happy and filled with gratitude for all of the wonderful cooks that came before us. Thanks to Sarah_Jane for bringing this to our attention.