Recipe by Chef Schellies
I ripped this recipe from a magazine a long time ago. I made it many times and it always turned out delicious as well as beautiful. Since then, I misplaced my box of recipes torn from magazines until the other day. I had previously tried to find this recipe on Zaar, but couldn't so I was happy to find the clipping so now I can share the recipe with all of you. Since the layers are baked separately, the cook time and the prep time overlap somewhat. Prep time does not include refrigeration time. I have used low-fat cream cheese and it turns out just as good. Enjoy!
Top Review by GreeksWife
This is a great recipe. I made it yesterday and my husband and I have eaten almost all of it. The crust is awesome and for those reviewers who said they don't like coconut, the crust is such a different one from others and you know it's special but you won't even know the coconut is in there, unless you put more in it next time like I intend to try. I love, love, love this!
- 1 cup walnuts, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup nuts for the topping. Set aside.
- Finely chop remaining 1/2 cup nuts.
- Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in shortening until fine crumbs form. Add finely chopped nuts and coconut.
- Remove 1/2 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed until smooth. Spread over hot, baked crust. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Spread cherry pie filling over cheese layer.
- Combine reserved nuts and reserved crumbs. Sprinkle over cherries. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes more. Cool. Refrigerate several hours.