Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I ripped this recipe from a magazine a long time ago. I made it many times and it always turned out delicious as well as beautiful. Since then, I misplaced my box of recipes torn from magazines until the other day. I had previously tried to find this recipe on Zaar, but couldn't so I was happy to find the clipping so now I can share the recipe with all of you. Since the layers are baked separately, the cook time and the prep time overlap somewhat. Prep time does not include refrigeration time. I have used low-fat cream cheese and it turns out just as good. Enjoy!
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup nuts for the topping. Set aside.
- Finely chop remaining 1/2 cup nuts.
- Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in shortening until fine crumbs form. Add finely chopped nuts and coconut.
- Remove 1/2 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed until smooth. Spread over hot, baked crust. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Spread cherry pie filling over cheese layer.
- Combine reserved nuts and reserved crumbs. Sprinkle over cherries. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes more. Cool. Refrigerate several hours.
I have been making these for the past 20 years and did not add the 1/2 cup of nuts on the top. I guess I never really read the recipe right before. They were always a hit. Now I'm going to make them right and see if anybody notices. Thanks for the info
I am going to review this without tasting it. I made it for our church dinner tomorrow and it looked beautiful coming out of the oven. I can just taste it by looking so I know it is gonna be a big hit. Thanks for a wonderful recipe
These were great! i made with blueberry because my DD loves blueberries. Thanks for sharing this easy, yummy dessert recipe! Made for Pick a Chef Sring 2009