Autumn Apple Sponge Cake
photo by Tulip-Fairy
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease and line the base of a 20cm loose based round cake tin.
- Quarter the apples and cut out the core. Cut quarters into slices and put them into a small bowl with the lemon juice. Toss to mix and set aside.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, sugar, eggs, sultanas and lemon zest. Beat together with a wooden spoon for 3 to 4 minutes until well mixed.
- Put mixture in the cake tin and level the top.
- Drain the juice from the apples and put the slices neatly on the cake. See Photo.
- Bake for about 35 minutes - when you gently press on the top of the cake it should spring back.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool before removing form the tin.
- I usually double the quantity and cook in a 23" round cake tin (deep). It's enough to feed an army - or a very hungry family at least!
- Alternative toppings use fresh pears or canned, drained pineapple or mandarin oranges.
- This cake is great served with a generous spoon of whipped cream / crème freche.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Thank you for stopping by to look at my page...here's a little bit about me... I live in the Uk with a hungry husband and two of my three fussy daughters. We follow a low carb diet which keeps our weight in check and I can stay off he wheat....it makes me poorly. I love making cakes, cookies and desserts for family and friends. In my life I am looking for world peace, unlimited supplies of organic chocoalte & self cleaning kitchen floors! I am at my happiest when getting paid, drinking wine & cooking cakes but it makes me very unhappy when it's my turn to wash up, when someone eats my chocolate, drinks my wine or uses my toilet! I work as a part time cook in a children's centrel. My afternoon job sees me as parish administrator at my local church. Outside of work I try to be as inactive as possible, although I do a bit of dog walking with ozzy (thankfully he only has little legs and doesn't need to go far. <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/thetulipfairy/Ozzy02/photo?authkey=HhT0ux14Lv0#5113793555440255698"><img src="http://lh3.google.com/thetulipfairy/RvfYJQaywtI/AAAAAAAABGo/NzK_AYCiF6I/s288/Oozzy%20003.jpg" /></a> <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/thetulipfairy/Ozzy02/photo?authkey=HhT0ux14Lv0#5099192685257170082"><img src="http://lh5.google.com/thetulipfairy/RsP4uwYGHKI/AAAAAAAAA0g/8Ljxr4lLvwg/s288/Small%20Camera%20001.jpg" /></a> I am also interested in working towards early retirement, we intend to leave the kids in the house, travel around Europe in a silver camper van 'doing' all the F1 Grand Prix spending their inheritance as we go!! My favourite films in no particular order are: Pulp Fiction, Blues Brothers, Dirty Dancing, Fight Club, Pretty Women,Vanilla Sky, The Breakfast Club, Hideous Kinky (although the book is better), Ferris Buellers day off, Autumn in New York, Mistress of Spices, Splash, Scent of a Women, When Harry met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, Notting Hill I could go on and on and on....but I won't!!!! Some of my favourite books are, 365 Bedtime Stories, Harry Potter, Pomegranate soup, Julie / Julia Project, Hideous Kinky, Dinner with a perfect Stranger, The Tao of Pooh, this list really could go on and on and become endless as I am an avid reader. I have been a member of zaar's since May 2002 and have loved every minute of it, I just know that if I need a recipe you guys will have it! I haven't posted many recipes yet but I just love it when I receive a review. This is why I always review all the zaar recipes I try, I also try to photograph as many as possible too! <a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com"><img border="0" src="http://c8.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1669569&c=5009020" alt="Hit Counter"></a><a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com">Free Web Counter</a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"><img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg">