Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My Mum got this recipe from a can of Carnation evaporated milk in the 80s and it's been a family favourite ever since. It's not listed among the Carnation website's current list of recipes at www.nestle.ca so I thought I should do my best to save this classic recipe from extinction. The original recipe calls for "1/4 cup shortening"; we use 3 tablespoons of (corn) oil. It also calls for 1/2 cup of maple syrup, but we found 3/4 cup was even better :) We also cut out the 1/2 teaspoon of salt from the original recipe. Use medium grade maple syrup (not the "light" stuff) if possible. Finally, be sure to use *evaporated* milk, not condensed milk!
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in oats.
- Mix evaporated milk, maple syrup and egg.
- Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased medium muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in hot oven (400F) 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from pans immediately.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.