My Mum got this recipe from a can of Carnation evaporated milk in the 80s and it's been a family favourite ever since. It's not listed among the Carnation website's current list of recipes at www.nestle.ca so I thought I should do my best to save this classic recipe from extinction. The original recipe calls for "1/4 cup shortening"; we use 3 tablespoons of (corn) oil. It also calls for 1/2 cup of maple syrup, but we found 3/4 cup was even better :) We also cut out the 1/2 teaspoon of salt from the original recipe. Use medium grade maple syrup (not the "light" stuff) if possible. Finally, be sure to use *evaporated* milk, not condensed milk!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 2Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Stir in oats.
- 4Mix evaporated milk, maple syrup and egg.
- 5Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until moistened.
- 6Fill greased medium muffin cups 2/3 full.
- 7Bake in hot oven (400F) 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Remove from pans immediately.
- 9Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carnation Maple Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (760 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.0
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.6 mg
- Sodium 113.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g