Carnation Mashed Potatoes
A side dish everyone will be raving about. the key ingredient is evaporated milk. Green onions or cooked bacon may be added if desired.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes (6 med)
- 1 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
- Cook potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Return potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk and butter.
- Beat with hand mixer until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Yes! Carnation Evaporated Milk makes the very best tasting mashed potatoes! I learned this from my mother-in-law in the '70s as this is what she used to make hers, and they were the best I ever ate. The evaporated milk just gives a sweetness and great flavor that you can't get from regular milk or cream.Reply
This is the only way my mom makes mashed potatoes. She doesn't measure the evaporated milk. She starts mashing the potatoes, with the butter and salt/pepper and adds the milk gradually until the potatoes are the desired consistency. I made these last night to serve with the leftovers from your Crazy Chicken recipe and used about 3/4 cup of the milk. I used the really large baking potatoes though. Thanks for posting this.Reply
see 2 more