A very tasty and tummy warming recipe given to me several years ago. Once the ground beef is cooked, this can all get dumped into the crock pot. UPDATE 3/09 I added a 1/2 t of dried thyme to round out the flavor.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, medium chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 14 ounces great northern beans, sub. kidney
- 1 small cabbage, chopped, sub. 16 oz. package of slaw mix
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot: Brown ground beef, drain any fat.
- Add onions and garlic, saute with ground beef until tender.
- Note: At this point you place the ground beef mixture and remaining ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Standard stove top cooking: Add remaining ingredients and simmer.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours on stove top until cabbage is tender. Stirring occasionally. Check fro additional seasonings.
- Serve with a crusty bread.