Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A very tasty and tummy warming recipe given to me several years ago. Once the ground beef is cooked, this can all get dumped into the crock pot. UPDATE 3/09 I added a 1/2 t of dried thyme to round out the flavor.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, medium chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 14 ounces great northern beans, sub. kidney
- 1 small cabbage, chopped, sub. 16 oz. package of slaw mix
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot: Brown ground beef, drain any fat.
- Add onions and garlic, saute with ground beef until tender.
- Note: At this point you place the ground beef mixture and remaining ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Standard stove top cooking: Add remaining ingredients and simmer.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours on stove top until cabbage is tender. Stirring occasionally. Check fro additional seasonings.
- Serve with a crusty bread.
I made this recipe on 1/18/12 for our dinner.And due to what I had on hand, a few changes were made to the recipe and they are as follows.Instead of the canned beans, the same amount of leftover white beans were used. I didn't have a 28 ounce can of tomatoes,so 2 14.5 ounce cans were used. And to give the beef a bit more flavor,the onion was added as the beef was browning.About 1 1/2 hours into the cooking time a " Quality Taste Test " was done and I realized I forgot to add the garlic,so I added about a teaspoon or so of garlic powder.And at that time I also added another 3/4 teaspoon of chili powder.This recipe turned out to be a " Keeper ". Thanks for posting and " Keep Smiling : ) "
This is a very delicious soup!! I used beef broth and left out the tomato sauce. We don't like alot of tomatoey soups but the diced tomatoes were a great fit. I made alot so I'm going to be freezing some and eating some for lunch all week. Thanks for a great and easy soup.
Very good recipe with an unusual taste. We really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe.