Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A friend gave me the original recipe for this and I added a few spices to give it a little more flavor. I've made it "my way" ever since and everyone who has it seems to enjoy it very much. One other way I did this was to eliminate the tomato sauce (didn't have any that day) and use a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles. Because they have juice I lowered the amount of water a bit. It turned out delicious that way too! I have also put the sauce together earlier in the day and let it sit to make sure the flavors went through really well.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked longrain rice
- 1⁄2 head chopped cabbage (at least 6-8 cups worth)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram (if you don't have marjoram use a little extra oregano....they are very similar in flavor)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain. Mix the rice into that. Set aside. Chop the cabbage and spread over the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Spread the meat/onion mixture over that. In a saucepan combine the rest of the ingredients and bring them to a light boil. Pour this over the meat and cabbage. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours. NOTE: Recently I have reversed the way I layer the ingredients in the baking dish. I put the meat/rice mix in first and top with the cabbage. I then pour the liquid over that. I find it works better as far as not ending up with hard bits of uncooked or dried up rice.
- I like to sometimes sprinkle my serving with parmesan cheese just for a little extra flavor, too.
- Note: If you don't have marjoram use extra oregano -- or -- if you have no oregano use extra marjoram -- they are very similar. I notice people saying they used garlic. Why didn't I think of that?! Love using garlic. I will be adding some next time I make this myself!
This was really good :) I have been looking for a recipe like this and now I have one!! I followed the recipe exactly except I didn't have any marjoram so I added some garlic pepper for extra taste. Mine was done in 1 1/2 hours! Thanks for posting ...
i've tried making casseroles like this before and they always were bland. This one was very tasty. Will be my go to recipe from now on. Only thing I did different was that I had no marjoram ,so I put a little garlic powder in instead. VERY GOOD. 5 STARS
This is one of the best cabbage roll casserole I made. So much taste. The rice was cooked, no need to add more liquid. Thanks catsoplenty :) Made for cookbook tag game