Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Creamy baked rice and broccoli, an easy delicious side dish or light lunch with a salad and sliced tomatoes! My DD will only eat rice if cooked like this (or chinese) it is really easy, and tastes great! Good re-heated too! I have also used spinach or 1 cup of frozen peas instead of the broccoli. I think this came from a milk calander.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 In a large fry pan, melt butter.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 min over med heat.
- Add thyme, rice, and flour, stirring for 1 minute Pour in chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute Remove from heat.
- Stir in broccoli, milk and parm cheese.
- Mix well and pour into a buttered 6 cup casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 35 min or until tender.
- Meanwhile, to make crumb topping, toss together all ingredients and set aside.
- Remove casserole from oven, stir in lemon zest and sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Broil for 1 to 2 min until golden.
I,ve made this Twice now and its really a lovely side dish.In the second one I made I added 2 tins of flaked tuna fish and a dash of tabasco before adding the crumb topping and it was delicious!Thankyou
This was simple to make with ingredients that I typically have on hand. I upped the broccoli and skipped the topping. I'm going to try a different kind of cheese next time. Thanks, Lois M.
This was excellent!! I really enjoyed it and my girls ate all they were given which is always fine by me! We used tenderstem broccoli which worked well because the stem still had a bit of a crunch. This is a definite keeper. Thanks for posting!