A wonderfully aromatic Indian potato dish. A great side dish to any Indian meal...and it's quick and easy too.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black onion seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- good squeeze lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to boil, add the potatoes and simmer until just tender. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan then add the garlic along with the whole and ground spices. Fry gently for about 1-2 minutes, stirring until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the potatoes and stir fry over a medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until heated through and well coated with the spiced oil.
- Season well and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.