Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderfully aromatic Indian potato dish. A great side dish to any Indian meal...and it's quick and easy too.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black onion seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- good squeeze lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to boil, add the potatoes and simmer until just tender. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan then add the garlic along with the whole and ground spices. Fry gently for about 1-2 minutes, stirring until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the potatoes and stir fry over a medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until heated through and well coated with the spiced oil.
- Season well and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
These are my kind of potatoes. The balance of spices is perfect and the lemon and herb finish it off nicely. Served with grilled organic beef sausages and Best Ever Fresh Sweetcorn Salad. Thanks so much for posting.
I love these potatoes. They're easy to make, and the spice mixture is just right. I used lime juice instead of lemon juice, and thought that addition along with the cilantro really brought everything together. I served this with beef vindaloo, and it was one of the best meals we've had in a while- thanks for posting! [Made & Reviewed for PRMR]
Zipptiy doo dah!! We LOVED these potatoes. I'm usually not a big fan of potatoes, but since I was making your chicken balti, I thought I'd give these a try. What fun when biting down and having some of the seeds pop in the mouth. The finish of fresh lemon juice and chopped fresh cilantro was brilliant. Thanks for a great treat.