Recipe by Galley Wench
Recipe found on the internet.
Top Review by Gerry
Excellent - so different from our prairie 'beef pie' recipes - yet so good! I was hesitant on the bay leaves using only two small ones - other then that made as posted -was perfect for our tastes - loved the curry powder and of course the raisins and almonds!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, peeled, diced
- 2 lbs chopped cooked beef
- 2 slices bread, soaked in milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, then add the apple and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped beef and combine.
- Squeeze out the excess milk from the bread slices, then tear up and add to pot.
- Add the curry powder, raisins, almonds, lemon juice, egg, and turmeric, and stir well.
- Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13" baking dish.
- Place bay leaves vertically in the casserole.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Mix together the egg and milk, then pour it over the Bobotie. Bake for 15 more minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.