Recipe by dicentra
1001 Low Fat Vegetarian.
Top Review by Alli G.
Great basic recipe! I used bacon grease to saute the veggies and toast the rice. I didn't have veggie broth, I used 1 pkt of Sazon con azafran and 1 pkt Goya chicken bouillon in the water. I did everything else as directed except I only drained the beans (Goya brand again), but didn't rinse as I enjoy the flavor. I added ham that I had leftover with the beans. Great flavor, perfect 1 dish meal,
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium until hot.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add rice; cook over medium heat until rice is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth to saucepan and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes, adding beans during the last 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, season to taste with salt and pepper.