Recipe by Linda N
This is a wonderful version. It tastes very light because of the fruit. When my children were small, loved the cake, and asked what it was called, I told them it was called "The Best Cake in The Whole Wide World." =)
- 1 (18 ounce) box Duncan Hines yellow pudding cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 3 bananas
- 1 large Cool Whip Lite
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cake in a sheet pan according to directions on the back of the box.
- Combine one cup of sugar with the can of crushed pineapple. Bring to a boil.
- Upon removing the cake from the oven, punch holes all over the top of the cake with a meat fork.
- Pour the hot pineapple mixture evenly over the top of the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice the bananas and layer evenly over the top of the pineapple mixture. (You can dip the banana slices in orange juice to keep them from turning dark.).
- For cake topping, mix together the cream cheese, cool whip, and coconut (I like using the coconut found in the freezer section of the grocery store.) For ease in spreading the topping over the bananas, drop spoonsful of the topping mixture evenly over the cake, then spread to the edges of the cake.