Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I changed around an old recipe of mine for beef stew to get this delicious concoction! I sauteed the onions and garlic in bacon fat and then browned the stew meat pieces in it as well. I had a 1/4 Merlot left over so I added that. YUMMY!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup merlot (optional) or 1⁄4 cup other red wine (optional)
- Heat frying pan on HIGH (hot pan, cold grease= NO STICKING!).
- Add 2 T bacon fat- melt.
- Add chopped onion and garlic.
- Turn down heat to medium low- sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Turn up heat to High- get pan really hot.
- Add more bacon fat or olive oil if pan is dry.
- Quickly brown meat- let each side get browned.
- Place browned meat into crock pot.
- Add 1 cup water to pan to make a beef stock.
- Add 2 bouillon cubes- stir and break up into stock.
- Add 1/4 Merlot (or other red wine) optional.
- Pour over meat in crock pot.
- Spoon onion mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook 10 hours on Low.
- Serve with mashed potatoes (or rice), cooked/buttered broccoli and crusty rolls.
Great recipe. I love the flavor of the merlot. I made a couple of changes... used olive oil instead of bacon fat, and round steak in place of the stew meat. Served it over mashed potatoes, with a salad on the side. My whole family enjoyed this one.