Beef Shank Stew a La Crock Pot
I've been going through some old cook books, I keep finding the odd recipe or two. No! That's not true! With the number of bits of paper and 3x5 cards and items torn from magazines and newspapers it's no longer odd, it's normal. I almost have carpel tunnel syndrome from trying to enter them all into my PC. I am posting a few of the best. Enjoy. Please don't ask where they came from, I haven't the foggiest.
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 30mins
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle brown ale or (12 ounce) bottle red ale (Bud or Coors just isn't going to hack it.You need a real robust beer. The alcohol cooks away, we're)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup Wondra Flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, quartered (I've used 3-4 dried Shiitaki mushrooms, soaked in warm water 'til tender then sliced.)
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, halved lengthwise (quarter the big ones)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef shanks, trimmed of fat
- 2 lemons, zest of, of
- 2 lemons, juice of
- During hot weather move the crock pot into the shade on the patio.
- No need to work the AC more than necessary.
- In a mixing bowl combine Ale and Tomato Paste, whisk'til well mixed.
- Whisk in the Wondra, Salt, Red chilies, Pepper, and Garlic.
- Mix well.
- Pour into crock pot.
- Set heat on low.
- Stir in Onions, Celery, Potatoes, mushrooms, and Carrots.
- Work Beef Shanks down under the surface of the broth.
- Cover, cook on low for 9 hours,'til beef is tender.
- Stir a bit of Lemon zest and juice into each bowl before serving.
- This goes well with hot, buttered, corn sticks (My recipe#74650) and several cold beers.
- May be eaten while alone but not recommended.
- It's much better with company.