Top Review by emcglone1979
This is one of my favorite soups to make! I normally use a bag of mixed veggies to replace the carrots, celery, peas, and green beans. I use a can of diced tomatoes and 2 boxes of beef broth to make prep easier, and I always double the barley. I like my soup thick and hearty! Served with some warm bread, or a grilled cheese sandwich, this is just delicious.
- 1 soup bone (meaty) or 6 bouillon cubes
- 2838.0 ml water
- 226.79 g stewing beef, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 118.29 ml barley
- 473.18 ml canned tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
- 236.59 ml carrot, sliced
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 118.29 ml peas (I prefer frozen)
- 118.29 ml green beans
- 2 potatoes, pared and diced
- 59.14 ml parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a soup kettle. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 3 hours.
- Skim soup until clear while simmering.
- Remove soup bone; add all remaining vegetables and simmer for about 30 minutes longer.
- Let soup stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: Normally I don't care for barley, but this soup is truly delicious.
- I love making homemade soups and bread on cold wintry days.