Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup
photo by limeandspoontt
- Ready In:
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 10 baby carrots (or a couple regular carrots)
- 2 potatoes (peeled if you like)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I use salt-free)
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth (or 2 14-oz cans)
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or any cooking oil)
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Cut meat into small, bite-size (1/2") pieces.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, saute meat in 1 T oil on medium-high heat until all sides are brown.
- Set aside on a plate.
- Chop celery, onion, potatoes, and carrots into bite-size pieces.
- Saute celery and onion in remaining 1 T oil until onion is golden (about 10 minutes).
- Add browned beef, water, broth, tomatoes with juices, carrots, potatoes, corn, bay leaves and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until beef is almost tender, about an hour.
- Add peas and hot sauce to soup.
- Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- Serve and season with freshly ground black pepper, hot sauce, or crumbled saltines, if desired.
This was my first time attempting to make a Vegetable Beef Soup, but this recipe made it so easy! And it was OMG delicious!! I omitted the hot pepper sauce for personal preference and added a half can of tomato sauce; I also added extra potato and some cabbage, and it came out wonderful! Thanks for this great
After reading the reviews and considering my personal preference, I decided to alter the recipe a wee bit. I used V8 juice instead of water ( I think that adding water to the recipe makes it a tad bit "watery" and it loses its consistency) and I also added an extra can of diced tomatoes. I seared the beef stew with olive oil, lemon pepper, and onion powder and proceeded to cook everything in a crockpot on high for 30 minutes and then turning it to low for about an hour and a half. The outcome was amazing so I gave it 5 stars because it is simple enough for anyone to make and the ingredients are spot on... Thank you for a thoughtless recipe for soup on this cold snowy day!
see 89 more reviews
see 16 more tweaks