Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 soup bone (meaty) or 6 bouillon cubes
- 3 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb stewing beef, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peas (I prefer frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup green beans
- 2 potatoes, pared and diced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a soup kettle. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 3 hours.
- Skim soup until clear while simmering.
- Remove soup bone; add all remaining vegetables and simmer for about 30 minutes longer.
- Let soup stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: Normally I don't care for barley, but this soup is truly delicious.
- I love making homemade soups and bread on cold wintry days.
This is one of my favorite soups to make! I normally use a bag of mixed veggies to replace the carrots, celery, peas, and green beans. I use a can of diced tomatoes and 2 boxes of beef broth to make prep easier, and I always double the barley. I like my soup thick and hearty! Served with some warm bread, or a grilled cheese sandwich, this is just delicious.
Wow! The paprika, bay leaf and thyme combine with the beef to make a delicious soup. I didn't use peas or potatoes, so I added some turnips with greens. I waited until the end to add the salt and pepper, and finished with 1 teaspoon fresh thyme from my freezer. Thank you, Ziggy, I'll make this again.
carrots need to be put in long before the last 30 mionutes of simmering.... still hard, and potatoes if used should be put in about and hour before finishing up.... have cooked this low sodium soup three times already and found the above needed to be added sooner than the last 30 minutes....in fact had it tonight for dinner..... good luck with my change