Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
Let the bananas ripen significantly before using them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Spray the indentations of a muffin pan and the rims around them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) until uniform; set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon until smooth (about 2 minuets).
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing each well.
- Mash the peeled bananas into the butter mixture using a potato masher.
- Stir in the milk, ginger, vanilla, and vinegar until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in the flour mixture; stir until just moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 18 minutes or until pale brown with rounded nubbly tops; a pick should come out with a few moist crumbs.
- Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release it.
- Cool muffins on rack for 5 minutes.
- **Banana Muffins: omit the ginger.
- **Banana Coconut Muffins: omit the ginger, add 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut with the milk.
- **Banana Nut Muffins: omit the ginger, add 3/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts with the milk.