Recipe by PaulaG
I picked this recipe up from a local market while on vacation. This is a delicious dish!
Top Review by Valina
Excellent flavor!! I cooked it in the oven - cooking time was perfect for the roast, but I would increase the time for the veggies a little bit. We served the leftover meat on mashed potatoes - yummy! Next time I will be making this in the crockpot. Thanks for a delicious pot roast!
- 1 (4 lb) chuck roast
- black pepper, coarse ground
- 4 onions, quartered
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -5 bay leaves
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 3 -4 celery ribs, cut in large chunks
- 4 -5 medium carrots, scrubbed, cut in thirds
- 2 -3 teaspoons arrowroot (optional) or 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Generously season roast with coarse ground black pepper.
- Place the onions in high sided roasting pan and place roast on top.
- In a large bowl, mix the vinegar through bay leaves, pour into roasting pan.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, adding the prepared vegetables 45 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- If desired the meat and vegetables can be removed from the cooking liquid when done and the liquid brought to a boil, reduced and then thickened with arrowroot starch or cornstarch. Serve the gravy over the cooked meat and vegetables.