Recipe by LonghornMama
Mexican rice that's vegan, lowfat, and made with healthier brown rice. Not too spicy so this would make a nice side to a variety of meals, not just Tex-Mex. Would be nice served with black beans. From www.wholefoodsmarket.com.
Top Review by ttreber
Tasty, nutritious, and easy. My grocery sells canned diced tomatoes with jalepeno and chile peppers already added, so I used those. I subbed olive oil for the canola. I used my large cast-iron fry pan and then covered it tightly with foil once I put it in the oven. I served this with chicken and black bean enchiladas I made with whole wheat tortillas. The rice was a great addition to a filling, wholesome meal!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup crushed canned tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeños and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stir, and cover. Place in oven and bake until rice is tender, about 50 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.