Mexican Brown Rice & Lentils
This is a tasty combination. I got this recipe from a friend. I use the French lentils as they do not break apart as much as red or yellow lentils.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped, with liquid set aside
- 1 (13 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice or 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, including canned tomato liquid, in stockpot.
- Bring to boil.
- Redcue heat to medium and cover.
- Simmer 55 to 60 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cilantro sprinkled on top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very easy, very tasty. To me this was a vegetarian version of chili, since I used veggie stock instead of the chicken stock. I guess that would actually make it vegan. I used a mixture of brown and red lentils, because I wanted it to be really thick. The rice kind of got lost in here, but I love lentils so that was the big draw for me anyway. I also added some smoked paprika at the end. Made for Potluck tag. Thanks, FloridaNative!Reply
see 2 more