Prep 50 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 6 medium cooking apples
- 3 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- With pastry cutter or steel blade in food processor add flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, baking powder, salt and butter.
- Process until mixture no longer looks "floury".
- Add walnuts and process just a second. Set aside.
- Half and core apples, peeling is up to you.
- Slice apples.
- Arrange apple slices in a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine sugar (adjust to tartness) and cinnamon.
- Spread over apples.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Distribute topping over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
I made this for a dessert with my sister. We really enjoyed it. I added a touch of vanilla to the apple and lemon juice mixture. Excellent! We topped it with vanilla ice cream. Delicious! I will be making this again. I also cut down on the butter but next time I may add 5 tablespoons to the topping instead of 4 tablespoons. Awesome recipe!
Just like my mom always makes. I am so glad you posted this so I don't have to do the work adding it! She does make a few changes though; in oat mixture she only used 4 Tbs butter and puts the extra 2 Tbs in with the apple mixture. She only uses 4 c apples ( I think because we enjoy more topping) and doesn't use lemon juice or walnuts, but I think I will try it next time! She also uses an 8x8 dish. Thanks, this recipe is a keeper for sure!
I used Haralson apples and got rave reviews. My only quibble was that a 9x13 pan is too big for this recipe. The topping didn't fully cover the pan and the apples cooked down so that it was barely a quarter inch think. I'd either double the recipe or use a smaller pan.