Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
"Chopped apple adds fruity sweetness, color & crunch to the tangy cabbage in this flavorful slaw. It's a refreshing side dish any time of the year. Mom stored apples & cabbage in the root cellar, so she fixed this dish frequently to feed our big family." -- Lucile Proctor
- 6 cups cabbage (shredded)
- 3 medium red apples (chopped)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons onions (grated)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 dash pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage & apples; in a small bowl, comine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over cabbage mixture & toss to coat; refrigerate until serving.
Great for picnics and potlucks. No mayo. Who would have ever thought evaporated milk could be used as the base for a salad dressing. When you add the lemon juice it thickens up a little. You could use any combination of spices you like.