Prep 6 hrs
Cook 2 mins
This is a classic Keralite breakfast from India. yeah, its high-carb...but delicious.I don't put as much sugar/jaggery as others do...But I put enough to make one happy after a good jog in the sunshine!
- 4 cups idli rice
- 3⁄4 cup jaggery
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 cup boiled sona masoori rice
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 400 ml water (for grinding the rice, coconut, jaggery, plus a little more for proofing the yeast)
- Soak the idli rice (white glutinous rice) for 4-6 hours.
- In a bowl add a little lukewarm water and add the yeast and sugar,stir and keep aside for 15 minutes or till frothy.
- Grind the rice with the coconut and jaggery in your mixer or food processor till you get a smooth batter.It should be of a pourable consistency.
- When the yeast mixture is frothy,stir in the salt till it is dissolved and add it to the batter you have prepared.
- Keep the batter closed in a warm corner of the kitchen to ferment overnight.
- .In the morning, heat a skillet,add half a teaspoons of sunflower oil, and pour a ladel of batter in the centre of it and move the pan around so that the batter spreads.
- you will notice holes appearing in the pancake almost immediately.
- Flip it over when the sides begin to brown and cook for a minute.
- Serve with sweetened coconut milk or just as it is.
- Enjoy! :).