Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This refreshing salad will surprise you and your guests with how well the flavours work together. At first, it might seem strange, but one taste and you will be hooked. The cool, crunchy watermelon is the perfect base for the pungent, greek flavours - it's a perfect balance of savoury and sweet. A similar salad was served to me at a cafe a few years back. I had always remembered it and finally decided to try to recreate it. This is about as close to the original I could get. :) ***note*** Feel free to experiment with flavours. Try adding in some fresh basil OR fresh mint in place of the balsamic vinegar. Or leave out the vinegar altogether.
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, cubed (or crumbled)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted and halved (or use sliced ripe olives)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- In a small bowl, cover the onion slices with the lime juice. The acid in the lime juice will help to mellow the onion a bit.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the watermelon, feta, olives, and onions (without the lime juice, but save the juice for the vinegrette) Set aside.
- Wisk together the reserved lime juice, olive oil and as much balsamic vinegar to suit your taste and preferences. Keep in mind there is quite a bit of flavour in the salad from the feta and olives so just 1 or 2 tbsp usually does the trick.
- Pour vinegrette over melon mixture and toss. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
This was yummy and refreshingly light. The feta does cream into the salad making almost a creamy sauce. I think for looks I would just sprinkle it on the top before serving. Thanks.
I made the recipe last night, with the vinegar, and my guests were amazed (and so was I) it is wonderful...a big hit and one of my guest took the recipe to serve when he goes home to visit family.
I have always made greek salad as the hubby loves it but had never added watermelon. It is great with watermelon. I also added mixed lettuce leaves. YUMMO!!