Watermelon Salad with Feta
photo by JustJanS
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon harissa or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs seedless watermelon, rind removed,fruit sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup pitted oil-cured black olive, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 c.)
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice and harissa and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the watermelon slices on a platter and sprinkle with the onion, parsley, olives and feta.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thanks Dancer^ for another great recipe. I have to tell you I hate watermelon, but after having a similar dish at a friends, I'm converted (in this salad only;-)) I made a half recipe for an appetiser for us last night. It's sweet, salty, sour, hot, has some really interesting textures, and is so simple to assemble. The other version I ate of this included mint leaves, so I added some to yours Dancer^. I also used a generous grinding of sea salt which it seemed to need. There are a few of these watermelon/feta salads on 'zaar, but this didn't look too acidic. You want all the flavours to stand out-and they did.
Wow, wow wow! I have been eyeing this recipe and ones like it for awhile and finally made it today. It is absolutely delicious. I can not stop eating it! I omitted the red onion and added toasted pine nuts, and kalamata olives. I cubed the watermelon and just tossed it all together. It is a great balance of salty, sour, hot, sweet. Yummy! I cannot wait to make this for guests. Thanks so much for sharing this fantastic recipe!
see 7 more reviews
Oh, sweet and salty, how I love thee. This salad was a dream. Seriously fabulous. I took the advice of another review and subbed in half rice vinegar for the olive oil and I think the added tartness went well with the lemon. I also did not have red onion so used green, and no parsley so I chopped up some arugula and tossed that in. I fought for my fair share, that is for sure! Thanks for such a winner that's sure to be a summer staple!
This recipe is worth every star. Loved it!! I've tried a variety of feta and watermelon recipes and some call for balsamic vinegar and it seems to be the dominant flavor. This salad was the perfect blend of tastes. I did use black olives in water and a few shakes of red pepper flakes instead of hot sauce and it was fine. The lemon juice and parsley really added to it. Thanks for the recipe!