Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from a good friend who brought it to a cookout. We all asked for the recipe so I thought I'd post it here on Zaar. It really does go together quickly, hence the name!! Please make sure you use the SHELLED sunflower seed kernels.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (I've used Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby peas, defrosted
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (kernels with shells removed)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well to dissolve sugar. May be made ahead of time.
- Put slaw mix, peas, and sunflower kernels in a serving bowl.
- Add dressing to coat well and toss until everything is combined.
- * If the dressing is made ahead of time, it really does only take about 22 seconds to prepare this! :).
Labor Day picnic food! My sister is gluten intolerant so this made a nice side dish to bring to a family picnic. I've had this recipe for years with one small change -- I use peanuts instead of sunflower seeds. The peanuts are added at that last minute to keep them as crunchy as possible. My sister loved it. :)
I had a bag of broccoli slaw and remembered this recipe. I served it right away and it still had a good flavor. The sunflower seeds add a great crunch and the peas make it stand out in appearance from regular cole slaw. I served these with Tuna Burgers (DiScharf) and my teenaged son ate both without complaint. Thanks Leslie! Roxygirl
Very easy and delicious. Whole family loved it. Thank you for posting.