Special Rhubarb Cake
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1 inch pieces
For streusel topping
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternatively with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into greased bundt pan.
- Combine topping ingeredients, sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Join The Conversation
I barely got a chance to taste this before it was gone. I cut the recipe in half and made in a 9x9 baking for 30 minutes, put it out to cool while I ran an earn when I got home there was only one corner left. The hint of tartness from the rhubarb combined with that sweet crumbly toping made for a nice snack cake. Thanks for the post.
I made this cake for myself last night, and I've already eaten half of it. I'll definitely be making it again. The cake has just the right sweetness, is moist and the only change I made was to add some blueberries to the 2 cups of rhubarb. I love the streusel which seems to form a crust on the top of the cake. It would be great with ice cream or whipped cream, but the cake is also 'a keeper' without it. Thanks Alvinakatz for posting it.