Southwestern Black Bean and Chicken Corn Chowder
- Ready In:
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced (the meat from half of a rotisserie chicken works great)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- thinly sliced green onion (to garnish)
- In a stockpot, saute garlic, onion and bell pepper in butter or oil until soft.
- Add diced potatoes, chicken broth and taco seasoning.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Use a hand potato masher to mash the potatoes and thicken soup.
- Add diced tomatoes (may puree first if desired) and corn.
- Add evaporated milk, half and half, shredded cheese and beans.
- Cook another 2-3 min, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with diced green onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!