This is from the Food column by Anjali Vellody, Weekend.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 kg chicken, washed,cleaned and cut into medium size pcs
- 1 cup water
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
To be ground to a paste
- 4 green chilies
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Grind the ingredients for the paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok.
- Once its hot, toss in the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and stir-fry until it turns golden brown.
- Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the ground paste.
- Fry till the masala leaves the sides of the wok and the oil floats on top.
- Add salt and water.
- Cook the chicken until it is tender and the gravy thickens.
- Add the pepper and garam masala powders.
- Mix well and serve hot with naan or rotis or kulchas.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Great curry thanks Charishma. I used chicken thigh fillets, instead of cutting up a whole chicken, and I think I should have bought 2 bunches of coriander to make up the 2 cups of leaves rather than the 1 I bought, I also increased the salt to 1 teaspoon instead of a half. I went out for drinks with friends today, and although I got home not feeling like cooking, this was so simple to put together and tasted fantastic!