Flax Seed Honey Cookies
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3/4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup honey (molasses can also be used)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (reg salt can be used)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup oats
- Cream together butter (or oil) and brown sugar.
- Stir in egg and honey and mix well.
- Fold in your dry ingredients (including the flax) and mix.
- Cover with a towel and chill for about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make dough into small balls (you can roll in additional flax seeds if you want).
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 9 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on flat surface or wire rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh WOW, these are good! No, not "good"... fantastic! I used half honey and half molasses (personal preference... I love molasses!) and regular salt, and didn't bother with flattening them during baking. Mine were a little smaller, so I ended up with about 40 cookies... ALL of which were greedily polished off by my fiance, our roommate and me within 24 hours! My fiance is already begging me to make these for the holidays. I will happily comply. :)
I got twice as many cookies by using a 1-inch cookie scoop. This cuts the calorie count per cookie in half. I also rolled the dough balls in flax seed, boosting the nutritional content. Sure,they're not a low-calorie food (what cookie is?), but I'd rather have my kids snack on these than Oreos. They're sweet & crunchy, and good with milk.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
i am a stay at home mother, formerly a kindergarten teacher. one of my favorite cookbooks is "home cooking" by laurie colwin. i love to cook but other than my 3 yr old daughter and myself, i really dont have anyone to cook for. my daughter eats lots of broccoli and fresh garlic dishes and loves to help me in the kitchen preparing the food that she and i eat. i try to follow a strict organic lifestyle as best i can for my daughter and i.