Easy Batter Bread
photo by Mamas Kitchen Hope
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir sugar into yeast/water mixture, let mixture sit until tiny bubbles start to form.
- Add butter, salt and half the flour.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat batter for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining flour, stirring by hand (or on low speed) until well blended and smooth (batter will be very thick, like a very soft dough).
- Cover bowl with a tea towel, and let the batter rise in a warm draft free place for 30-60 minutes or until doubled.
- Beat the batter by hand, about 25 strokes (the dough will deflate).
- Spread batter evenly into a greased 8x3 or 9x4 inch loaf pan.
- Smooth out the top of the loaf by patting it with your floured hand.
- Cover pan, and let batter rise again (about 30-60 minutes) until dough has reached the top of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when the top is lightly tapped.
- Remove from pan.
- For a softer crust, brush the top of the hot loaf with butter.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Bread slices best when it is cooled.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm married (46 years to the same lucky guy) and have 2 kids, a daughter 41, a son 36, and 2 beautiful grand daughters (8 yrs and 6 yrs). I have always enjoyed cooking and baking, especially breads :) One of my favorite quotes:?? Computers are like air conditioners; they stop working when you open Windows.