Cream of Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup chopped jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons new mexico chile powder (to taste)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- tortilla chips
- monterey jack cheese, grated
- In a large pot over med. heat, saute garlic and onions in butter.
- Add broth, cream of chicken soup, and half and half.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add salsa, corn, chicken, cumin, chili powder, and jalapenos.
- Simmer soup for 1/2 to 1 hour, stirring often.
- Crumble tortilla chips into individual bowls, and ladle in the soup.
- Top with cilantro, cheese, and more tortillas if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This may not be an honest rating because I made so many changes, but the idea was perfect, and even with a bunch of modifications I made a huge pot of soup that, like so many other tomato-based recipes, tasted so much better the second day. Whatever you do, make a double batch! And have plenty of cilantro on hand...with tortilla chips and shredded cheese...mmmm!
This is a great, comforting soup. I changed it a bit also, since my DW isn't a jalapeno person. I used the canned mild green chiles instead and left out the corn. I cut the original recipe in half because it's just the two of us at home now, but now I wish I had made the full recipe. I will definitely make this soup again.
This was really really good! I did change a couple of things. 1) I used three breast halves, about 1 1/2 pounds. 2) I used about half the amount of half & half to cut down on fat (a little!) and 3) no jalapeno because my family doesn't like it too hot. There was enough to feed 4 adults easily with leftovers. I served cheese quesadilla wedges on the side to dip in the soup.