Lime Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken broth flavoured with salsa and lime,poured over tortilla chips and shredded chicken and garnished with cheese. See my short cuts in the description. Preparation time includes time to make the salsa - see my salsa Recipe #362382
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 large tomatoes, cored and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 400 g chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- grated dry mexican cheese
- Cut tortillas into chips size strips. Heat oil in skillet until very hot but NOT smoking. Quickly fry the strips in batches until they are crisp, 1-2 min per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry the chicken breast on a pan until done (i like to pour some lime juice over chicken 1 min before removing from pan - it adds a nice fresh flavour to the chicken). Shred chicken as finely as your time allows. The finer the more the chicken flavour will mix with the soup.
- Make the salsa (tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil, lime salt).
- Put the salsa and chicken broth in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minute.
- Puree the soup with hand mixer or in blender.
- Add lime and salt to taste.
- Place tortilla chips and chicken in bowls, pour soup and garnish with shredded mexican cheese or other dry cheese.
- Tip 1 - if you know that you will be making the salsa for the soup only, there will be no need to finely chop any ingredients as it will be blended anyway.
- Tip 2 - I add more garlic and make the soup quite spicy.
- Tip 3 - the tortilla chips can be omitted.
- Tip 4 - I have also used canned diced tomatoes, drained well, instead of fresh tomatoes with good results.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I loved the basic flavor of this, but the consistency was a bit thinner than I would have liked. I probably needed larger tomatoes or more of them, just to create a bit more body. Next time I will poach the chicken ahead of time. Frying it took more time than I wanted, and the grease fire I created did not help (don't ask). The lime juice at the end adds a wonderful spriteliness, and making your own tortilla strips takes but a minute and they are so superior to anything packaged. I got three servings out of this, but we really like our soup.
Gosh this is so lip smacking good! This was a wonderful dinner for a cold rainy night! I subbed in prepared salsa, but when I have more time I will make the salsa fresh because it sounds so yummy! I took the recommendation to use lime juice while pan frying the chicken! It is so good! Just a hint of lime! Served as directed with the addition of a smally dollop of sour cream. Oh yeah, I am enjoying this for lunch right now again! :) Thanks for posting! Made for 1-2-3 Hits December 2009!