Asian Caramelized Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shallots or 2 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (or more to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 star anise (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Open chicken thighs to lie flat in the pan and brown on both sides, in batches if necessary. Set chicken aside.
- Remove all but 1 Tbsp of fat from the pan, then add remaining ingredients except peanuts and cilantro.
- Stir and simmer until the sauce becomes thickened and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Taste carefully (it's very hot!) and add more garlic and vinegar if necessary to your taste.
- Return the chicken to the pan, coat with syrup and cook until chicken is cooked through. If the glaze becomes too thick add a small amount of water and stir. Remove star anise if using.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro if you like and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
THIS IS FABULOUS! Like another reviewer...I left the browned chicken in the pan and just poured the sauce ingredients in the pan to thicken for 15 minutes....soooo easy! Served with rice....we loved it! Served with green onions on top instead of the peanuts due to personal preference. Certainly company worthy, QUICK and adictive.
Yummy! We are going through a heat wave and didn't really want to cook but this recipe was great. Easy to make and out of the kitchen in less the 30 minutes. The flavour was wonderful, only changed one thing. I didn't have coriander at home so I substituted to spring onions. When the chicken was browning, I mixed the rest of the ingredients in a jug and just poured it on top in step three, which made it even quicker. The flavour was great, served it on steam rice. Thank you Cookin-jo