Recipe by Rita~
Whatever you may call it this Italian named fish stew or soup or as Rachael Ray would say "Stoup." You can use any kind of white fish your fish monger has fresh like cod (my favorite), catfish, flounder then add some shell fish seasonings and soup it is.
Top Review by beckas
The soup fit my current low cal, low carb diet perfectly and I knew by looking at the ingredients that this recipe had to be a winner and it was. What a great flavored soup! I used Knorr shrimp bouillon instead of the shrimp stock and I used a jar of marinara sauce as a substitute for one of the cans of tomatoes. I also added more garlic and a few dashes of hot sauce. Yummm.....the flavors simply danced in my mouth!
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovies (optional)
- 1 celery, diced (4 ounces)
- 5 ounces diced fresh fennel (finocchio or anise)
- 5 ounces diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potato
- 3 ounces fresh diced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups kale, rough chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups shrimp stock, from shrimp shells or 4 cups water
- 1 lb tilapia fillets (white flesh fish) or 1 lb catfish fillets (white flesh fish) or 1 lb cod fish fillet (white flesh fish)
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined reserve shells for stock
- 1 lb scallops
- 1 lb seafood, mix (which comes frozen and consist of baby octopus, squid, shrimp) (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby clams, and juice
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot add 5 cups water and shrimp shells bring to boil and then simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large pot heat oil add onion garlic, anchovies, celery, fennel, carrots, potatoes, & mushrooms sauté till translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and herbs reduce wine cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add kale, can tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, saffron, salt & black pepper.
- Strain stock from shrimp shells (discard shells) adding enough water to make 4 cups.
- Add to pot simmering 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients simmer 10-15 more minutes till fish almost flakes apart.
- Check for seasoning adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with crushed pepper flakes and fresh parsley.