1/7 Photos of Zuppa Di Pesce, Cioppino, or Fish Stew
Whatever you may call it this Italian named fish stew or soup or as Rachael Ray would say "Stoup." You can use any kind of white fish your fish monger has fresh like cod (my favorite), catfish, flounder then add some shell fish seasonings and soup it is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovies (optional)
- 1 celery, diced (4 ounces)
- 5 ounces diced fresh fennel (finocchio or anise)
- 5 ounces diced carrots
- 1 cup diced potato
- 3 ounces fresh diced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups kale, rough chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups shrimp stock, from shrimp shells or 4 cups water
- 1 lb tilapia fillets (white flesh fish) or 1 lb catfish fillets (white flesh fish) or 1 lb cod fish fillet (white flesh fish)
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined reserve shells for stock
- 1 lb scallops
- 1 lb seafood, mix (which comes frozen and consist of baby octopus, squid, shrimp) (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby clams, and juice
- 1In a pot add 5 cups water and shrimp shells bring to boil and then simmer 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile in a large pot heat oil add onion garlic, anchovies, celery, fennel, carrots, potatoes, & mushrooms sauté till translucent about 5 minutes.
- 3Add wine and herbs reduce wine cooking for 10 minutes.
- 4Add kale, can tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, saffron, salt & black pepper.
- 5Strain stock from shrimp shells (discard shells) adding enough water to make 4 cups.
- 6Add to pot simmering 15 minutes.
- 7Add remaining ingredients simmer 10-15 more minutes till fish almost flakes apart.
- 8Check for seasoning adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- 9Garnish with crushed pepper flakes and fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zuppa Di Pesce, Cioppino, or Fish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.3
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.2 mg
- Sodium 752.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of