Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes to us courtesy of the Renegade Lunch Lady Chef Ann Cooper and her book Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed our Children. The addition of yogurt not only makes these muffins moist, but helps them stay fresh in an airtight container for up to three days and still taste wonderful. If cake flour is not readily available, all-purpose flour can be substituted. The muffins will be slightly denser, but will taste just as good. (recipe found on Whole Foods website)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour (may sub pastry flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon diced dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon diced dried apricot
- 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon toasted natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a mini muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the oats, cranberries, apricots, sunflower seeds, orange zest and bran and mix to combine.
- In another bowl combine the yogurt, honey, vanilla, butter and eggs and stir until the ingredients are well blended.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to mix, just until all ingredients are incorporated. Take care not to overmix.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds of the way with batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
A great tasting muffin that isn't sweet and uses mainly healthy ingredients. The butter brings down the health quotient a tad. I did wish they were sweeter and think adding more sugar would help. In place of cake flour I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup white. I used 2 T. craisins, 1 T. sesame seeds, omitted the orange zest and used oat bran in place of natural bran. (not available in our stores and no-one seems t.o know what that is). I got 30 mini-muffins. Made for Veg-n-Swap~