Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
A thick, creamy potato soup. Wonderful on chilly nights served with warm bread. Adapted from a recipe my MIL gave me. Can easily be made vegetarian by using veggie broth and bouillon.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 diced onion
- 4 large cubed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 -3 large carrots, diced
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons flour (more for thicker soup)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- In a large pan saute onions in butter.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and celery and allow to soften a bit and get all buttery.
- Add salt, paprika and broth, and cook until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, make white sauce: Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add bullion cubes and stir to dissolve. When cubes are fully dissolved add flour and whisk until all lumps are gone. Add milk and bring to a slow simmer.
- When veggies are tender add white sauce and simmer if desired or serve immediately with bread.
I thought this recipe was just so-so, kind of bland, but maybe that's because I invreased the quantity to serve 10? Seems as if there was just too much milk which watered down the flavor. <br/>I might try it again, adjusting the ingredients a little, not sure though because it's too much work to end up with another mediocre pot of soup.<br/>Wondering if it can be frozen, questioning it because of the milk content.