Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1/4 cup couscous, 1 cup vegetable mixture, 2 1/2 T. cheese. Per serving: 381 calories, 7.6 g fat, 13.7 g protein, 66.1 g carb, 9.3 g fiber, 8 mg cholesterol.
- 11 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 4 cups vertically sliced onions
- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips (1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white part only)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash saffron
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chopped swiss chard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled goat cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 10 cups water, onion, and the next 4 ingredients to a large soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups cooking liquid and set aside.
- Add in squash and the next 6 ingredients; simmer 25 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Stir in the chard, cilantro, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until chard is wilted.
- Stir in juice; discard bay leaf.
- Add couscous to a large bowl.
- Combine reserved cooking liquid and 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon salt and oil; stir.
- Pour oil mixture over couscous; stir well.
- Cover and let stand 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; fluff with a fork.
- Serve vegetable mixture over couscous.
- Top with crumbled cheese.