Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe originates from Moosewood Restaurant cooks at home but I have tweaked it slightly over the years. Filling, tasty and nutritious. Delicious with a crusty bread on a cold night.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium parsnips
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 large potato
- 10 ounces green beans (about 2 cups trimmed and halved, I use frozen)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 ounces )
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium low heat. Add the onions and celery and saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the vegetables up to the green beans in order, stirring after each addition. (I just chop one, add it and stir, then move on to the next.).
- After you add the green beans, add the herbs, stock and water and bring to a boil.
- Chop up the pepper and mushrooms and stir in with the mustard and molasses. Lower the heat to simmer.
- Partially cover and simmer for ten minutes, or until the veggies are cooked.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as you like.