Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My idea of a perfect side dish
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup long grain white rice
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 medium onions, sliced in thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- In a saucepan, combine broth and both rices.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and brown sugar.
- Cook 6 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and onions are soft and translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly cook onions, stirring often until they are caramelized.
- Stir in dried cranberries.
- Cover and cook over low heat for another 10 minutes until the cranberries swell.
- Gently fold into the rice mixture. Serves 8.
I made this to accompany a pork loin and it was very good.It is a great side dish for fall.