Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another ZWT III recipe. A nice substitute for the beef dish whether you're a vegetarian or not. This is an adaptation from another one of those 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes. This is a very hearty and filling dish.
- 29.58 ml butter, and
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 709.77 ml portabella mushrooms or 709.77 ml cremini mushrooms, cubed
- 354.88 ml vegetable broth
- 59.14 ml white wine
- 4.92 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 44.37 ml flour
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Melt the first amount of butter over medium heat and add the shallot, cook until tender.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook until tender.
- Add the broth, wine, and salt and pepper if desired. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat and simmer for about ten minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, in a separate pot melt the second amount of butter over medium heat.
- Stir the flour into the butter until absorbed to make a roux.
- Pour the mushroom mixture into the roux and bring to a boil, turn down the heat and stir until thickened.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- This can be served over rice or pasta -- but secretly sometimes I just eat it like a stew by itself with some crusty bread. Yum yum.
Super tasty! And easy to make vegan - we sub the butter for olive oil and used silk creamer for the cream! We also added lots of garlic!
Very good recipe and very easy. Two small changes, I used 2 small garlic cloves (I love garlic) and 2 shallots. I just wanted a bit more onion flavor. But otherwise as is.
I served it over pappardelle pasta and garnished with scallions just because I had them on hand. It was very very good. Rich and tasty. Will be making again. Excellent recipe. I enjoy making a meatless meal once a week and this tasted just as good or better.
Wonderful. Thinking about incorporating this into a layer of vege lasagna. I added the a few packs of the wild mushroom blends which contained 3-4 different types of mushrooms